So I’ve been listening nonstop to One Direction‘s Take Me Home album ever since it was released.
I never thought I would go crazy over a foreign boy band again, much more a British one. I actually tried to avoid this group at first. Even though almost all my friends are pushing me to check them out and they were all blabbering about them, I still didn’t budge. Of course I did like ‘What makes you beautiful’, I mean, that is like the anthem of all the girls in the world. However, my interest eventually waned out. I did download some of their songs like ‘Taken’, ‘Gotta be you‘, ‘More than this‘, ‘Save you tonight‘ and ‘Na na na‘. Those that my friends recommended or I’ve come across on the Internet while I’m bored or something. Then there’s ‘Up All Night‘ and ‘One Thing‘. That’s when I realized their songs are actually good. But still, I kinda thought they were one of those groups who all have good-looking members but only two of them can actually sing. OR they can all sing but only two of them are ALLOWED to sing. LOL.
Anyway, since I’m still obsessing over my K-POP fandom at that time, I still didn’t have the energy to be a REAL FAN of One Direction. I initially liked Louis Tomlinson and I kinda researched him, saved some pics, followed him on Twitter. But that’s it. I just heard some news and tidbits of info about them from my fangirl friends every now and then. It’s not like I’m completely uninterested but I kinda thought they’re gonna be this short-lived sensation or something like a three-to-five-hit-wonder.
Enter One Direction‘s new album ‘Take Me Home‘. I was still doubtful about it at first. But then my friends and I spent a whole weekend singing and dancing along to their single ‘Live While We’re Young‘. We also made this crazy video reaction to their ‘Little Things‘ music video. That’s when I’ve realized I’m really starting to like these Brit dudes.
I’m not really an expert when it comes to music reviews. My taste in music is extremely flexible. I can’t even tell what my standards are or how I gauge a particular song. Sometimes it’s the melody, sometimes it’s the beat or rhythm… most of the times it’s the lyrics. I don’t have a particular genre that I’m more inclined to listen to as well.
Moving on, here are my fangirl reactions/ reviews to the songs in One Direction‘s Take Me Home album. ^^
1. Live While We’re Young – If there’s an award that should be given to One Direction, it should be the ‘Anthem Maker Award’. Like their hit ‘What Makes You Beautiful‘, this one is an anthem for all the youngsters, tweens, teenagers, in-betweeners and even the young at heart. It has a similar feel to ‘Up All Night’ but I like this one better. It just tells us to “screw those grown ups and live life to the fullest”.
2. Kiss You – I don’t care if it’s in a public or crowded area, if this song starts playing I would jump and dance around like a demented woman. LOL. From the moment Malik sang the first verse, I was instantly banging my head crazily and making up insane choreography. It’s a great song to start your day and uplift your mood. I can so imagine the boys jumping around and just dancing around in the MV.
3. Little Things – Another anthem for the romantic ones. The lyrics would just shoot right through your heart and melt your soul. This is the kind of song that would make me fall head over heels in love with a guy. I dunno how they do it but I think every normal girl in the world could totally relate with at least one or two lines in the lyrics. I was definitely able to relate to 5 lines in it. ^^ My friends and I totally had fun mimicking Louis’s thick British accent while he was singing the ‘cup of tea’ part. XD But I totally adore Liam’s and Harry’s lines.
“I know you’ve never loved the crinkles by your eyes… when you smile… You’ve never loved your stomach or your thighs, the dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine, but I’ll love them endlessly~”
“I know you’ve never loved the sound of your voice on tape, you’ve never want to know how much you weigh. You still have to squeeze into your jeans, but you’re perfect to me~”
4. C’mon C’mon – I love all the songs in the album but of course there would be some songs that I’d love more than the others. This one is kinda in the bottom. Don’t get me wrong. I liked it when I first listened to it. The story that the lyrics tell is actually pretty thoughtful and sweet. Zayn’s and Harry’s powerful voices are manifested in this song and I like that. It’s just that… I can put the others songs on loop and not get tired of it but I kinds skipped this one several times. ^^
5. Last First Kiss – Another song that spells ROMANTIC with a capital R. This song is soooooo sweet and heart-melting that from the moment I heard it I felt shivers and goosebumps all over. The blend of the boys’ voices plus the sweet melody and of course the lovely lyrics just made it the most perfect couple song ever. I would DIE if my boyfriend sings this to me. But of course it’s even better if One Direction sings it to me though. Hehehe. Plus, I just love it when Zayn and Harry hit the high notes. 😀
6. Heart Attack – A chillaxing song about a terrible break-up. I actually liked this song so much because of the beat and the rhythm. If you just listened to it without understanding the lyrics, you’d think it’s a happy song about random stuff under the sun. But it’s actually about moving on from a break-up. Maybe that’s what the boys were going for though – an ironic song about love. It’s a wonderful song to listen to if you’re feeling exhausted or depressed in your everyday life. Just ignore the lyrics though. ^^
7. Rock Me – This is the ‘We Will Rock You‘ song. The beat would definitely remind you of that song and it would stick to your head. I like the “R-O-C-K me again” part. It’s kinda addictive to listen and sing along to this song.
8. Change My Mind – This song caught my attention at first because of the fact that Louis sang the first verse. That is quite an achievement I think coz Louis never had more than two lines in the past. LOL. Much more sing the first few lines in a song. I actually like his voice, not just coz he’s my bias, but coz it has that distinct quality. I could easily tell if it was him singing. 😀 This is my fave out of all the ballads. It used to be ‘Last First Kiss’ but the more I listened to this, the more I loved it. I especially liked Zayn and Harry’s parts. Their voices are just mind blowing.
“Never felt like this befo~ore…
Are we friends or are we mo~re…
As I’m walking t’wards the do~or…
I’m not sure…”
9. I Would – Another fun and exciting song to listen and sing along to. I absolutely adore the lyrics and rhythm of this song. It’s very playful and kinda cute. Listening to it would always make me smile like a fool. It kinds reminds me of my teenage years. Those were the days. *sighs* They say that every song has a story to tell. I think this song’s story is very common and something that even guys can relate to. I should emphasize that I absolutely love the bridge part where Louis sings and Zayn hits the high notes. Now who’s got those ’27 tattoos’ that Louis was singing about? LOL.
10. Over Again – Another song that I cannot really relate to but I did enjoy listening to. All thanks to Louis and his ‘showers that are British’. LOL. I find it difficult to sing along to this song but it’s very relaxing to listen to.
11. Back For You – This reminds me of an A1 song… if I’m not mistaken it’s ‘Take On Me‘. The melody at the start really sounds like that song. Hehe. Anyway, this is another one of those songs where I can totally imagine the MV. I kinda see the boys doing some cute hand-gesture-dance in this one – similar to the ‘in betweeners dance’ and the ‘row row row your boat dance’. These boys are just adorable even though they do some stupid and random stuff. Plus Harry’s voice here is just AWESOME.
12. They Don’t Know About Us – My third fave ballad. I’m kinda guessing it’s about one of the boys’ dating experience with another celebrity or singer. I love how honest and sweet the lyrics are. It totally reflects one of their past (or maybe present ^^) relationship. I could so imagine the MV and Harry would be the lead actor. Haha. Maybe it’s about Harry and Taylor Swift. LOL. I just love how a song like this got to me when I haven’t really experienced anything like this.
13. Summer Love – I can only say one thing about this song. It sounds like a Blue song. Or, like what my friend said, it sounds like a song that features Justin Timberlake. ^^ It has that groovy, club-ish feel to it. Something you’d hear playing in a club or a bar.
I really love this album. It’s as simple as that. It’s been a while since I actually listened to and liked a FULL English album. I’ve been into K-POP for more than four years now that I forgot how it feels like to sing along to English songs and actually understand what I’m singing about. It feels fantastic. Music like this makes me feel alive… wild, young and free.
So yeah, let’s live while we’re young! ^-^